A freshly made green juice is a wonderful way to start your day. It kick starts your digestive system and is highly recommended during the change of seasons to assist your system in detoxifying - especially as we step out of winter. Personally, I am not fond of a cold, raw drink first thing in the morning, so I precede my green juice with a cup of warm lemon water to get my digestion going.
The key is that you should vary your ingredients. Variety is the spice of life, so avoid sticking to the same ingredients. I like to go for what is in season.
There are many benefits to drinking a green juice per day. Here are a few of the benefits that make choosing a green juice worth considering.
• A green juice in the morning sets a healthy intention for the day. You feel more eager to continue a healthy eating pattern as the day progresses.
• Increases your energy levels. Green vegetable juices are real vitamin water, filled with chlorophyll, minerals, vitamins, and more, in their natural form! Green juices are made with fruits and vegetables filled with antioxidants, phytochemicals, minerals and vitamins -- sometimes as much as a day's worth of vegetables in one serving. When vegetables are juiced, the natural sugars in the vegetable are separated from the pulp, which is where the fiber is located.
• I use an Oscar DA-1000 slow juicer which separate’s the fiber from the liquid. It only takes 20 minutes for nutrients in fresh juice to be absorbed, which means that your body will remineralize faster and more efficiently.
• A green juice alkalises your body thus regulating your body’s pH levels. It also contributes to your cardiovascular health, regulating your blood pressure as well as your insulin levels.
• A green juice strengthens your immune system. Juicing allows you to take in a lot more nutrients than you otherwise would. Some veggies such as bok choy and broccoli contain a compound that boosts immunity and provides an extra layer of protection to cells in the body.
There are ample benefits, but the bottom line is that this is a wonderful way to start your day.
I’d like to share one of my green juice recipes that I love! Try to use as many organic ingredients as this also increases the levels of nutrients.
Green Juice Recipe
- 1 Apple
- 2 Celery stalks
- 1 Cucumber, small
- a few Kale, leaves
- 1 Lemon
- 1 Handful Parsley or cilantro, fresh
- 1 Handful of Spinach
- a chunk of Ginger
Other combinations may include broccoli, bok choy, pineapple, basil, mint, parsley, fennel or any organic green veggies that are available. I enjoy the natural taste of the juice but some people like to add a little bit of honey or stevia to the mix to sweeten it. The possibilities are endless so choose what works for you.